So let me re-cap. Last time (2.5 years ago..) I wrote that I bought a boat. As you probably realise, it was definitely not a bargain. So let me tell you about it, whatever I remember that is, seeing as that was more than two years ago.
Moody Magic, the Moody 33 MK1 I acquired in 2014 was moored in Vlicho Bay in Lefkas Greece. I first met her face to face at what is known as "Maria's Boatyard". Actually, for those of you interested, Maria is not the owner of that boatyard, she just works there..
Anyway. My first impression was that Moody Magic was in a fair-to-poor condition overall. The deck paint was old and fading, interior was not fantastic, mainsail poor, genoa OK but need some repairs. Pushpit & pullpit bent.. Engine.. err, it worked. But water pump was somehow misaligned so needed repair, which was done.
The boat was in the water, I had the bottom scraped by a pro diver. So I was ready to go.
That summer, was quite nice actually. We cruised with family & friends between Lefkas, Meganisi and Kalamos, Mytikas. Accommodation aboard was not great. The toilet was not working and we also had a small water leak. But it was OK for a few days.
The mast steps proved very useful as I has to climb a few times to recover the genoa halyard. The shackle on the top bit of the furling gear was the wrong type which caused the genoa to drop on the deck a couple of times. The sailing wasn't that great mainly due to the poor condition of the main.
In any case, I thought, it's not a great boat but at least it's good enough for some summer cruising in Greece. I had a new mainsail made by Quantum Sails and the genoa sac strip replaced.
In 2015 I was excited to try my new sails. As I was driving to Lefkas, I got a call from the person looking after the boat saying "you're not going anywhere". I asked "why"? He said that my engine was seized.. That took a while to sink in.
When I visited the boat she was in a very sorry state. Not just the engine.. Everything was covered in mould and some rot in critical places.. My Ting-a-Ling days flashed before my eyes. Not again. There was even some damage to the hull as if something scraped across the hull with force.
I desperately tried to find an engineer to repair the engine but it wasn't meant to be. After a couple of months, it was removed and repairs started.
Apparently, water had entered the cylinders via the heat exchanger. Repairs were carried out and I received images of a the shiny new-looking Thronycroft T90 around June 2016. The paint job they'd done on it was amazing.
It is now Nov 2016. I just received a video of the engine working again having reconditioned everything once again and installed a new Bowman combined heat exchanger and tank.
Next Time: my exploits in the UK and how I ended up with another boat